Thursday, January 7, 2010

I Dare You To Do Better!


Life sure is an interesting journey. This past year I turned 30. I'm sad to have left my 20's but on the other hand very happy. In my twenties, I was very young & naive. Now I actually feel I have some wisdom on my side from the many experiences I have had over the last 10 years. I have no regrets, I have really enjoyed the last ten years of my life but I do look forward to fulfilling the next ten years of my life being 30 something.

Happy New Year and welcome 2010. Around this time of year I set my new years resolutions and I will admit I am taking it to a whole new level this year, but this is not what this post is about.

A few weeks ago my wife and I watched Star Trek for the first time and I really enjoyed it, mainly because there was some substantial meat motivating statements that caused me to be recommitted to becoming better. If you haven't figured it out by now I love self-help, personal development and believing one can become anything they choose to be. But at times one needs to step aside and take a hard look at themselves, at their track record and reflect on what they are doing and where they are headed.

I did this and some of the dialogue from Star Trek really inspired me and I would like to share these pieces with you to wish you a Successful 2010.

At this point in the film Spock is discussing with his father whether being half human is a detriment to his being versus 100% Vulcan. This is what Spock's father shared with him in response,

"You are fully capable of deciding your own destiny. The question you face is which path will you choose? This is something only you can decide."

I totally agree with Spock's father on this, in essence 'You are the captain of your destiny.' You choose whether you are happy or sad, you choose whether your are rich or poor, you choose if you are successful. It's just a matter of how you deal with what is thrown at you.

This last piece is my favorite. At this point in the film Kirt the younger has just been discovered by Captain Pike the current captain of the Starfleet Enterprise at a bar in the Midwest. They sit down to have a little chat and it goes like this,

Captain Pike - Something I admired about your dad, he didn’t believe in no-win scenarios.

Kirt – He sure learned his lesson.

Captain Pike – Well, it depends on how you define winning. You’re here, aren’t you? You know, that instinct to leap without looking, that was his nature, too. And in my opinion, it’s something Starfeelt’s lost.

Kirt – Why are you talking to me, man?

Captain Pike – Cause I looked up your file while you were drooling on the floor. Your aptitude tests are off the charts. So what is it? You like being the only genius-level repeat-offender in the Midwest?

Kirt – Maybe I love it.

Captain Pike – So your dad dies. You can settle for a less-than-ordinary life. Or do you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special? Enlist in Starfleet.

Do not settle for a less-than-ordinary life. I believe ordinary people can do extraordinary things. Never give up! Fight the fight, wage the war and circumvent mediocrity.

"I DARE YOU TO DO BETTER!"
-Captain Pike

No comments: