Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Are you officially unemployable?


This is a common joke amongst entrepreneurs and self-employed folks. But I am going to change the context a bit. I quit my j-o-b back in August of 2006. This year has been tough. I realized toward the beginning of this year (2008) that I needed to go out and raise additional private capital for my real estate ventures. And due to a number of things this year it has been difficult. My point being is that I have been receiving a lot of 'pressure' to go get a j-o-b. I haven't had a job for 2 years! So, first is the resume right? My resume is so old-the last resume I put together was back in college and I really don't want to deal with sprucing up my resume-just hire me. Then their is co-workers, your boss, clocking in, schedules, hours, etc.

The funny thing is I have been to a few interviews. I have submitted my 'resume' or application a few times and I can't get hired!? I know for a fact I am over qualified for some of those positions and it just baffles me. I know us self-employed folks are independent and we have a hard time taking orders, but we aren't that bad are we?

There are other jobs where I can't get them to stop calling me. My point is this...as an entrepreneur we will have our challenges, difficulties and setbacks. But don't give up and by no means go out and get a job! We are smart intelligent people, there are other ways to make money than just going back to get a job. There really aren't any jobs right now any way. The other thing is this...as you experience these challenges you will find that those closest to you will begin to doubt and suggest you get a job. And when it gets really bad, then your significant other will hop on that band wagon as well. You then find yourself all alone and its really daunting.

But that day will come when you hit it big and all those I mentioned above will bring you in with open arms and say, "We knew you could do it! Now when are you going to take us on a vacation?" Hang around those who are like-minded and who are entrepreneurs like yourself. Endure and persist, cross that chasm that very few are willing to do. Weather the storm and reach out and grab success by the neck.

No comments: